Saturday, October 28, 2006

Jesus Camp

If, for some inane reason (use your imagination lucid imaginations people) a review for Jesus camp could only contain one word, I would select, without much thought and infected by my blathering immediate opinion (as opposed to my articulate critical analysis): disturbing.

The sheer reality of documentary is the most frightening quality of this film. The film itself is quite beautifully shot with reminiscence of pretty indie films in its cinematography – Lance Acord-esque (Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation). The characters the filmmakers choose to follow are interesting and sincere – how they gained the trust of these mega fundamental Christians is a question that knocked on the barn doors of my lofty, hey filled mind throughout the picture.

Animated expression during movies is an honour bestowed upon me by my parents whose ‘quirky’ characteristics and idiosyncrasies I have found myself adopting more so with every year of age and which I have thank them for with vigor on numerous occasions. And so as a physical sign of my reaction to the movie my head was often in my hands not able to watch the uncomforting rituals held at Jesus Camp. Loud exhalations, slight scoffs and slow shaking of the head in disbelief were other indicators which escaped from me before self consciousness and a sense of cool could pass judgment.
See this film. It is quiet an insight into the state America has found itself in. And if you are American and you can vote…vote.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya darling, tell me about the kind of audience and their reaction around you during the movie...

 
At Friday, November 03, 2006, Blogger Sarah Hillman-Stolz said...

East Villages mostly...think the upperclass side of Fitzroy. Group of teenagers in front of me being funny...ahh...yeah, everyone was aghast at what they were seing but in a giggling way. Didn't actually talk to anyone about it, so I can't really tell you what they were they're reactionw was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home